openClientSocket? What is it, how can I use it, and Where is it.[v.44]

Questions about GP commands and how to do things

Moderator: MSandro

Rowan Ramsey

openClientSocket? What is it, how can I use it, and Where is it.[v.44]

Post by Rowan Ramsey » Dec 30th, '15, 19:08

I am trying to see if I can port in a table from google spreadsheets into GP and with the http host thing and when fill all the parameters i get an error in the console and on the screen. Both pretty much say openClientSpecific is an undefined function. Can someone tell me how this is used and where I can find it. Thanks and bye.

JohnM

Re: openClientSocket? What is it, how can I use it, and Where is it.[v.44]

Post by JohnM » Jan 1st, '16, 12:18

Cool idea!

Unfortunately, I have not yet ported the socket function calls to Windows; they only work on Mac OS and Linux. Perhaps you can borrow a Mac or Linux machine?

If you just want to import some data from a Google spreadsheet into GP, you can use the "download" command in the Google Spreadsheet file menu to download the data as a "tsv" (tab-separated value) file, then import that into GP. You could also try "csv" (comma-separated value) format. Either way, GP's Table parser does not yet handle quoted fields in tsv or csv files (it should and eventually will), but that may not be a problem unless your spreadsheet has fields with embedded tab or comma characters. In theory, GP will guess the delimiter character (tab or comma) and whether or not the first row contains the column names automatically, but you can override that by expanding the block and filling in those values. For example:
Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 7.16.24 AM.png

JohnM

Re: openClientSocket? What is it, how can I use it, and Where is it.[v.44]

Post by JohnM » Jul 24th, '16, 21:04

Update: The GP socket primitives now work on Windows, as well as Mac and Linux.