How to build my own cloud-data-server?

Questions about GP commands and how to do things

Moderator: MSandro

JohnM

Re: How to build my own cloud-data-server?

Post by JohnM » Sep 11th, '17, 14:57

I'm delighted to see you experimenting with the Cloud Data server. It's so cool that you can run your own server written in GP on a Raspberry Pi!

You're correct that the current CloudData server is lacking security and administration facilities. It's meant as a way to explore the functionality of cloud data in GP with as few complications and restrictions as possible.

That said, the need for the user name in the cloud data blocks to match the name of a folder on the server was can be used a very crude administration/security mechanism. If you name a folder with string that is difficult to guess (and delete the "gp" folder), people can't store things on the server unless they know that string. Of course, if they have access to the source code for a GP project that uses that server, they can extract the string. Ditto if they have a tool for watching network packets, since the string is sent unencrypted. So this won't withstand a determined attack, but it's enough to keep someone with GP from casually using your server.

MSandro, it's cool that you've extend the server to create new users!