Scratch at Bordeaux 2017

Questions about GP commands and how to do things

Moderator: MSandro

SimpleSi

Scratch at Bordeaux 2017

Post by SimpleSi » Jul 27th, '17, 22:51

I'm watching the video of John's GP session at Bordeaux and just going to write what new things I'm learning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsCoI1I ... e=youtu.be

The dotted line to an instance is not to find the instance on the screen but to show which instance is currently being worked on {very useful when multiple instances}

The Esc key is same as pressing stop :-)

Broadcasts cause receivers to launch a new thread every time they receive a broadcast {not sure this is good thing :) }

Seeing how GP is written in GP is fantastic stuff :)

Nice to see a simple explanation between a named and unnamed (lambda ) function
During function stuff - a list suddenly was labled an array - this sort of swapping of naming needs to be minimised, I feel, unless very good reason for it

Loved the instinctive way mapping over a list just works

Range is good

WOW - build own custom block and save it as an extension to load in other projects - that is going to be VERY useful :-)

Nice to see changing + to - etc is being considered as that is a very useful feature

Blocks - Text switching :)

What I really like is that I can use this to just remove the shadowing which makes the blocks look clearer to me (getting old!) :)

Some of the discussions on "real" language block vs text, inheritance etc and acceptance of block programming in examinations was fascinating :-)

I wish I'd been there! :)

Simon

JohnM

Re: Scratch at Bordeaux 2017

Post by JohnM » Aug 3rd, '17, 22:43

Thanks for sharing these notes. It's really great that Martin took and shared that video, and that you shared some of the tidbits that you found useful (and that others will, too).
During function stuff - a list suddenly was labled an array - this sort of swapping of naming needs to be minimised, I feel, unless very good reason for it
I agree, and thanks for noticing that! I'm trying to make most things use and return lists. Array is a low-level, fixed size data structure that's needed to implement lists, dictionaries, tasks, and other things, but it doesn't need to be visible until the user digs deeper into the implementation of the system. I'll fix map and filter. (I'm sure there are other cases were "arrays" get returned; I'll clean those up as they arise.)
What I really like is that I can use this to just remove the shadowing which makes the blocks look clearer to me (getting old!) :)
FYI, I removed the shadowing on block labels in v72; are they more readable now? But I'm sure there will be other things that you and others want to change -- and you can!

SimpleSi

Re: Scratch at Bordeaux 2017

Post by SimpleSi » Aug 4th, '17, 08:25

FYI, I removed the shadowing on block labels in v72; are they more readable now?
I obviously need better glasses :)
I can see that the shadowing around text has gone :)