Simple primer for Scratchers

Setup, what to try first, tutorials

Moderator: MSandro

SimpleSi

Simple primer for Scratchers

Post by SimpleSi » Jul 6th, '17, 15:29

JFI I'm trying to put together a simple primer for existing Scratchers looking to use GP.

http://simplesi.net/scratch-to-gp/

All feedback welcome :)

LarsK

Re: Simple primer for Scratchers

Post by LarsK » Jul 28th, '17, 14:10

That's great! I'm sure there must be a lot of people interested in comparing Scratch with GP - both feature and concept wise. It'd be great to collect all this information on a wiki, so it can easily be expanded by multiple authors and also be translated in multiple languages.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Aug 3rd, '17, 22:00

This is great! Thanks for making it. I've linked to it from the Resources page on the GP website.

mr-dave

Post by mr-dave » Dec 5th, '17, 18:59

Nice job on your “Going from Scratch to GP”. Some thoughts from my initial GB experience:

No costumes for classes, no “next costume” block. Seems like a small detail but it’s a heavily used feature in Scratch. Maybe this difference is one of the ways that the GB creators want to differentiate GP from Scratch: they don’t want GP to be a zoetrope for animation images imported from other sources (animated GIFs, illustrator, so on).

There is no mention of “sharing” in your guide but it’s a big part of Scratch. There is the GB forum section but no “front page” experience. It’s not the same level of sharing, but it is what it is.

And then there is the difference in data structures: scalars, List, arrays, and data. I know that I’ve seen this mentioned elsewhere but since yours is the Scratch to GB guide it’s probably worthwhile to give this Scratch/GB difference a quick mention.

SimpleSi

Post by SimpleSi » Dec 5th, '17, 20:54

I've been waiting to see if there were any major changes before updating it - I'll get into doing that now :)

I don't see GP becoming an online social gathering point like Scratch 2 is which is why its not mentioned (plus I teach using Scratch 1.4 for 99% of the time)

Unlike Snap!, GP doesn't seem to be designed as a super-set of Scratch, so some things such as Scratch's easy to use costumes have not been incorporated into it - but maybe they will one day

The differences in lists definitely needs explaining (as its caught me out!) :)

mr-dave

Post by mr-dave » Dec 8th, '17, 01:50

And another difference: A received broadcast starts a new instance of the script instead of interrupting the one that is looping and then starting it over from the top. Seems like a minor point but the difference can really change the way a project works.
Broadcast starts an instance of the script.png
Broadcast starts an instance of the script.png (9.87 KiB) Viewed 12391 times

SimpleSi

Post by SimpleSi » Dec 8th, '17, 10:08

Ta for info:)