Inverted block lists and highlights [FIXED]

(Read-only) To re-open a bug, start a new thread in the Bugs forum.

Moderator: MSandro

bromagosa

Inverted block lists and highlights [FIXED]

Post by bromagosa » Oct 29th, '15, 12:04

I've just noticed these are not rotated 180º, but vertically inverted:

This is only happening in Linux, I've tried it in Windows and Mac and it works okay.

JohnM

Re: Inverted block lists and highlights

Post by JohnM » Oct 29th, '15, 13:06

Wow, that's quite an interesting bug! Different systems have different conventions for the Y origin and direction in bitmaps. We already have low-level code for both versions. It appears that some versions of Linux are flipped and others are not. I've been testing on Ubuntu, and my block highlights are not flipped -- which version are you using? What is your hardware? I'll try to figure out how to detect the actual Y direction.

bromagosa

Post by bromagosa » Oct 29th, '15, 14:11

I'm using a 64b Debian machine, but it also happens in the 32b Xubuntu machines we use at the clubs.

Is there anything I can do to help?

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Oct 29th, '15, 15:01

What's your physical hardware (e.g. ThinkPad, Dell, etc.)? This may be related to the graphics hardware since it is reading the bitmap for the block stack out of a texture. I'm testing with Ubuntu 14.4 in a VMWare virtual machine running on Macbook Pro.

Thanks for the offer to help. I'll definitely want your help in testing once I have a fix.

I've thought of a way to detect whether the bitmap does or does not need to be flipped: GP can run an experiment on a tiny bitmap at startup and remember that result. That approach will be more reliable than trying to guess from the OS.

bromagosa

Post by bromagosa » Oct 29th, '15, 15:08

That's really smart! How would that work? You use a 4 pixel bitmap and compare that one to a procedurally generated one?

I'm using a Lenovo PC, and my graphics chipset is "Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0b)".

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Oct 30th, '15, 11:58

Yep, exactly! Thanks for the hardware info.