Graphical Glitches [FIXED]

(Read-only) To re-open a bug, start a new thread in the Bugs forum.

Moderator: MSandro

Rowan Ramsey

Graphical Glitches [FIXED]

Post by Rowan Ramsey » Oct 3rd, '15, 17:08

My name is Rowan, and I am part of the pre-Alpha testing group in Montclair, New Jersey. Our Java group has been testing out GP for the past 3 weeks. We have a collection of bugs that we have logged, which I will be putting in this thread. This one will have Graphical bugs and any other crashing bugs will be listed in another thread. These bugs have been posted on a private website that have comment system, which is the format the bugs will be in.
Last edited by Rowan Ramsey on Oct 3rd, '15, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

Rowan Ramsey

Re: Graphical Glitches

Post by Rowan Ramsey » Oct 3rd, '15, 17:09

MrBaluga11
8:07 PM Sep 11
Bug Report (Windows 7): First of all this program is great! I found a bug when I opened the program up, maximized it then minimized and clicked away to another screen, after that I clicked back onto the program and the screen comes up black and will not close.

MrBaluga11
It is possible it is just my computer my friend Oliver will test it on his windows 7 computer we will update.
8:08 PM Sep 11

Oliver Stordahl
Yes this happens on my computer as well, my operating system is Windows 7 pro
5:36 PM Sep 12

Rowan Ramsey
lookes like a windows 7 problem then. I don't have windows 8 machine any more but it works for windows 10

Rowan Ramsey

Post by Rowan Ramsey » Oct 3rd, '15, 17:12

Rowan Ramsey
windows 10: graphical bug when the square goes off screen, do to movement, the pointer appears on the other side. and this goes on for what like like for ever. and as I'm wiriting this i have found another graphical bug, for some reason the script that i wrote is appearing multiple times but larger on the top of the gp screen. let me see if i can take a picture of it

Rowan Ramsey
i cant figure out how to put photos in the comment section so i might just add it to the page
5:40 PM Sep 17

Rowan Ramsey
Ok i have added it to the downloads(i hope everyone can open jpegs)
5:41 PM Sep 17

Oliver Stordahl
Windows 7: The first bug happens to me as well, but the program crashes instead.
3:53 PM Sep 19

Oliver Stordahl
Windows 7 (Update): I ran your program rowan and it crashes immediately when I go off the top of the screen. I was fiddling around, and I discovered that when it goes off the side of the screen, then it loops around. However it can go off the bottom of the screen for a while.
4:04 PM Sep 19

Rowan Ramsey
cool thanks for testing that out

Rowan Ramsey

Post by Rowan Ramsey » Oct 3rd, '15, 17:14

Rowan Ramsey
5:58 PM Sep 25
Oliver and I discovered that when you minimize the window when its maximized and click on something else. when you go back to it, it freezes until you resize the window.

Rowan Ramsey
This is on windows 10 and windows 7, but on win 7 it goes to black when you maximize it again
6:00 PM Sep 25

Rowan Ramsey
Jason found out the windows 7 observation

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Oct 5th, '15, 15:02

Hi, Rowan.

Thanks for these bug reports. It sounds as though there are several problems:

1. The GP window sometimes turns black when it is maximized or resized.
2. In one case, GP also stopped responding and the GP window could not be closed.
3. Crashes or strange behavior involving the arrow when the object being pointed at goes off the stage (above, to the right, or below give different behavior).

Is that a good summary?

Do the first two problems happen only on Windows 7, not Windows 10?

It would be super helpful if someone could write some short, simple scripts to reproduce the problem 3 bugs. I think I saw this problem in a workshop but when I tried to reproduce it later so I could debug it, I couldn't make it happen.

Rowan Ramsey

Post by Rowan Ramsey » Oct 7th, '15, 00:34

Hi John,

Thanks for responding and sorry for the long reports, its just that I wanted to put a accurate log of what we said. In the future I will just say the bug with a possible picture of the crash and the code I used.

The GP window turns black on a windows 7 computer, until you resize it, but on windows 10 it will just freeze until you resize it. I don't think we've had a problem with GP not closing unless I didn't read our own comments right. I am also going to add the picture of the graphical bug that I experienced. Sadly I have never been able to recreate it.

Yes I will provide some scripts for the crashing bugs. As I am trying to create the scripts for you I have run into another crashing bug
(btw this is in GP v0.41). Here is the error I get in the console

Undefined function: right
Stopped at (runtime\lib\Morph.gp:679)
right nil
To debug, type: db = (debug)
gp>

What happens is I try and duplicate an "animate" script and it freezes. Then the above text in the console shows up. I will provide a screenshot of my program as well.

Thanks for responding to my first couple of posts, you will be seeing a bunch more of our group hopefully
Attachments
GPCrashingBug1.png
GP_GraphicBug1.png

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Oct 7th, '15, 02:35

Thanks for these clarifications and the test case. Very helpful!

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Nov 3rd, '15, 15:22

Using v042, I wasn't able to replicate the crash you reported when duplicating an animate block.
I tried both an empty animate block and the script you posted a picture of.

So, that may have gotten fixed -- or not! Let me know if it's still happening
and, ideally, how I can make it happen starting by opening GP on an empty
project.

The Windows redisplay glitches sound as though GP is either not getting notified
when the window is minimized or that GP isn't responding to whatever event Windows
is sending it. Either way, the work-around until this is fixed is to resize the window
slightly to force a redisplay.

JasonEnright

Post by JasonEnright » Nov 7th, '15, 00:32

I found a glitch with the button. Find a video of the bug in the file "Friday Coders Button Glitch," which you can download from this page. This glitch effects all buttons of this type.
Attachments
Friday Coders Button Glitch.rar
(3.72 MiB) Downloaded 445 times

Rowan Ramsey

Post by Rowan Ramsey » Nov 21st, '15, 15:59

JohnM wrote:Using v042, I wasn't able to replicate the crash you reported when duplicating an animate block.
I tried both an empty animate block and the script you posted a picture of.

So, that may have gotten fixed -- or not! Let me know if it's still happening
and, ideally, how I can make it happen starting by opening GP on an empty
project.

The Windows redisplay glitches sound as though GP is either not getting notified
when the window is minimized or that GP isn't responding to whatever event Windows
is sending it. Either way, the work-around until this is fixed is to resize the window
slightly to force a redisplay.

So it hasn't gotten fixed, we are having a programming meeting right now and messing with tables, and we keep crashing when we duplicate blocks for the fourth time. I'm not sure what causes it but it happens so consistently on both pc and mac that it really a problem. Thanks