DragnDropList example not working in alpha-062 [macOS bug, fixed in Sierra 10.12.5]

(Read-only) To re-open a bug, start a new thread in the Bugs forum.

Moderator: MSandro

MrSteve

DragnDropList example not working in alpha-062 [macOS bug, fixed in Sierra 10.12.5]

Post by MrSteve » Apr 5th, '17, 05:39

Load Example project DragnDropList

You can not see the names. If you take just the "draw text name ..." block out of the init for Person, then call it later (say via "when space pressed" it does show.

Other thing is if I click the "Clear" button for "Instances of Person", any person is embedded in MyList does not "Clear"

I tried this on older versions and ran into same issue (which I do not recall happening before) so wondering if this may be due to running on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4 Will try on PC tomorrow.

PS. I miss Etoys. Drag and Drop functionality was so much simpler with accept drops :)

MrSteve

Re: DragnDropList example not working in alpha-062

Post by MrSteve » Apr 11th, '17, 03:36

Works fine on Windows 7

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Apr 20th, '17, 16:05

This may, indeed, be a Mac OS issue:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/techno ... -4-update/

WIll investigate further...

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Apr 26th, '17, 16:57

After installing macOS Sierra 10.12.4 (on an external drive), I was able to reproduce this problem on my MacBook Pro.

Sierra 10.12.4 introduced a bug in the driver for the Intel Iris Pro. That's the graphics card used on some models of the Mac Powerbook Pro. The symtom is that some graphical elements in GP, such as the thumbnails under the stage and some of the thumbnails in the Images tab disappear.

Further Googling uncovered a number of other reports of graphics issues on MacBook Pro's with the Intel Iris Pro graphics card that appeared after the 10.12.4 update. Some of these reports involve Adobe InDesign and Illustrator, so I'm guessing Apple will fix this problem quickly. Indeed, Apple is already up to beta 4 of 10.12.5 on the Apple Developer site.

Bottom line: This is an Apple bug, not a GP bug. With luck it will be fixed in the next Sierra update. Meanwhile, GP should run fine on Macs running older versions of OS X (up through macOS 10.12.3). GP should also run fine, even on 10.12.4, on Macs that don't have the Intel Iris Pro graphics card.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » May 3rd, '17, 11:03

I reproduced this graphics issue on my Macbook Pro by upgrading to macOS Sierra 10.12.4.

I then installed the beta version of 10.12.5 (version 4) from the Apple developer site, and that fixed the problem.

These experiments confirm both that there is a graphics driver bug in macOS 10.12.4 and that it will be fixed in the next update, 10.12.5. The bug only seems to effect Macs with the Intel Iris Pro graphics chip which was used in MacBook Pros for a few years.

I don't know when the 10.12.5 update is expected to be released. This article:

http://www.droidreport.com/articles/821 ... -fifth.htm

speculates that it may come out in early June. Apple just released another beta to developers on Monday, so they seem to be moving quickly.

Meanwhile, if you have a Mac with the Iris Pro Graphics and you haven't yet updated to macOS Sierra 10.12.4, you may might to wait until the 10.12.5 upgrade is out.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Jun 2nd, '17, 08:23

Apple released the update to macOS Sierra 10.12.5 on May 15. That should fix the display driver problems for those with Intel Iris Pro graphics. A beta version of this update fixed the problem for me, but I'd love to get confirmation from someone who was having these display issues that the final update fixed the problem for them.