GP Studio - just an idea and some plans

Post your nifty GP projects here!

Moderator: MSandro

MSandro

GP Studio - just an idea and some plans

Post by MSandro » Sep 8th, '18, 16:01

I thought about how to work with GP in its most basic form. I thought about how to develop software in the GP language like we do it woth languages like Java or Phyton. I would like to have the feeling of an general IDE. The Idea to work on an IDE for GP named GP Studio. It is currently just an idea and some plans.
It should be very easy to use. A top panel to create new projets, open, save and a settings menu. Creating a project should offer several templates. A project would contain the GP executibles, a project file (could be json), the libs and other files A TreeView on the left. A big text box to edit code with tabs. If posible a console log on the bottom.

I would realy like to know what you think about those ideas. If there is some interest I will start to develop it, but I think this is a bit to huge to maintain souch project by my own. So maybe someon want to help. I am open to suggestions and I look forward to the discussion.

Calloway

Re: GP Studio - just an idea and some plans

Post by Calloway » Sep 8th, '18, 16:24

I was thinking about this too since I've just been playing around in the IDLE, which can be a bit of a pain (especially on window's command prompt)
I think I might make a Github repo with just an outline and a simple structure and I'll add you as a contributor.

This sounds like a great idea to me :)

MSandro

Post by MSandro » Sep 9th, '18, 07:48

Good to know. Thanks this would be nice.

Calloway

Post by Calloway » Sep 9th, '18, 13:11

Do you have any ideas of how it should be laid out?

MSandro

Post by MSandro » Sep 9th, '18, 18:00

Currently I am work on some basic libraries e.g. to make GUI-WIndows easy. I would like to create my own libraries instead of copying it from GP. Because using the GP libs would cause too much unnecessary dependencies. I have already many working ideas for the project structure and management but I wasn't yet success with some basics.

Calloway

Post by Calloway » Sep 9th, '18, 18:05

Do you think GP Studio should be hard coded from Scratch instead of using the Morphic Framework?

MSandro

Post by MSandro » Sep 9th, '18, 18:19

Not sure currently, but MorphicFramework contains that much stuff which we might not need, so I am currently trying to hard-code those basic stuff by my own. But I am was not really success yet.

MSandro

Post by MSandro » Sep 24th, '18, 05:40

I think I have to do a lot more researches before starting to create an GP application from the ground up. Unfortunaly I currently havn't that much time.