Adding Stereo output?

Request a new command, feature, or improvement

Moderator: MSandro

Calloway

Adding Stereo output?

Post by Calloway » Sep 16th, '18, 21:25

Would it be possible to have stereo output in GP?
For example, the note block could extend to another input for left/right/center output and if none is detected default to center.

It's a small suggestion but it really can make a difference if people want to get creative with sounds.

JohnM

Re: Adding Stereo output?

Post by JohnM » Feb 9th, '19, 12:56

Stereo is actually supported by the underlying system. Here's some help I got from the GP command line:

Code: Select all

gp> help openAudio
Open the audio output driver. The optional frameCount argument is the number of stereo or mono samples (frames) to buffer, a power of 2 between 256 and 8192. Output is mono unless optional stereoFlag argument is true. Arguments: [frameCount stereoFlag]
gp> help writeSamples
Write sound samples (an array of signed, 16-bit integers). If stereo, left and right channels are interleaved. Arguments: sampleArray
I haven't tried it, but I think if you manually open the driver in stereo mode then you *might* be able to use the "play samples" block to output a stereo buffer. If that doesn't work, you can use "write samples" directly, passing a "BinaryData" object to it with the left and right samples interleaved.

In short, stereo is possible, although it will require you to "roll your own" stereo sound output loop.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Feb 9th, '19, 12:57

By the way, here are all the sounds "primitives".

Code: Select all

-- Sound --
   openAudio
   closeAudio
   samplesNeeded
   writeSamples
   fft
   generateNoteSamples
   sendMIDI
   startSpeech
   stopSpeech
   startAudioInput
   stopAudioInput
   readAudioInput
I got this list from the list of primitives you get from typing "help" at the GP command prompt.

Calloway

Post by Calloway » Feb 11th, '19, 01:36

Ah I see, so a psuedo-stereo solution would be possible.
I'll try working the kinks out somehow

What're the startSpeech and stopSpeech primitives used for?