SimpleSi

[browser]Please can we have an upload button

Post by SimpleSi » Oct 28th, '17, 14:42

Drag and drop just isn't a friendly way of opening saved projects

I think is a major barrier to using the browser version to use and learn GP

SimpleSi

Re: [browser]Please can we have an upload button

Post by SimpleSi » Oct 28th, '17, 14:46

And one in the images tab as well please :)

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Oct 28th, '17, 21:08

It's been a while since I investigated this issue. Unfortunately, the browser sandbox makes uploading files much harder that you'd ever imagine.

We definitely can't use GP's own file picker in the browser because there's no way to list files on the user's computer from within the browser. Furthermore, for arcane reasons involving event dispatching and annoying browser security restrictions, we can't initiate a file uploads from buttons or menus within the GP interface.

However, we could add an "upload" button above the GP window that invokes the browser's upload file dialog and does what drag-n-drop currently does -- uses the file extension to decide what you wanted to do. If it's a .gpp file, it loads it as a project (asking the user first); if it's a media file, it it adds it to the images or sounds tab.

Would that be helpful?

SimpleSi

Post by SimpleSi » Oct 28th, '17, 21:24

Unfortunately, the browser sandbox makes uploading files much harder that you'd ever imagine.
"I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit" (copyright Han Solo) :)
However, we could add an "upload" button above the GP window that invokes the browser's upload file dialog and does what drag-n-drop currently does -- uses the file extension to decide what you wanted to do. If it's a .gpp file, it loads it as a project (asking the user first); if it's a media file, it it adds it to the images or sounds tab.

Would that be helpful?
Certainly sounds as if it would do the required job :)