Text on the stage?

Request a new command, feature, or improvement

Moderator: MSandro

mguzdial

Text on the stage?

Post by mguzdial » Oct 7th, '15, 18:15

I'd like to be able to do active essays in GP (e.g., http://www.vpri.org/pdf/tr2009002_active_essays.pdf). Are there plans to be able to display text on the stage? I imagine that that's necessary for many kinds of applications. There is a GP block to draw text on the stage, but it's not going to work (easily) for paragraphs of text.

JohnM

Re: Text on the stage?

Post by JohnM » Oct 7th, '15, 19:54

This is a great suggestion! It would be great to be able to add one or more editable text boxes (perhaps without borders) to the stage. We have the foundations for that, but it needs work.

We would probably start with a very simple text widget: all one font/size/color. In other words, plain text rather than rich text. Would that be sufficient?

Another feature that would be great for active essays is the ability to create projects with multiple pages. We actually had that feature in an earlier version of the GP editor, and it could be recreated fairly easily. That would allow you to create longer essays.

mguzdial

Post by mguzdial » Oct 8th, '15, 01:37

This forum needs a +1 feature or a Like button!
  • Plain text would be fine.
  • Multiple pages would be terrific!

MrSteve

Post by MrSteve » Jul 2nd, '16, 04:07

+1 Plain text is a good start :)
+1 A book morph (like in Etoys) would be great

I've use the book in Etoys to get students to create versions of their projects. Since there is no easy undo, they can create branches on new pages using duplicate page (which also creates new copies of all the objects) and try mods on the new page and still be able to "revert" to the old version.