Loading multiple modules at once

Request a new command, feature, or improvement

Moderator: MSandro

mguzdial

Loading multiple modules at once

Post by mguzdial » Aug 5th, '16, 15:43

I can imagine that a GP user might want to load several modules, remixing from several sources. I can imagine sharing a project where I specify "You'll need to preload modules X, Y, and Z." How might we support this?

Some ideas:
- A "Modules/Extensions" folder, where all GP extensions in that folder automatically get loaded at startup.
- A module of modules concept -- I load up all the modules I want into one project, then save it out as a GP project, then load that new project to load in all the modules at once.
- A module browser -- an option to see all the modules on my computer (and/or in a GP module repository on a server somewhere?) that I can then pick-and-choose which to load.

Other ideas?

MrSteve

Re: Loading multiple modules at once

Post by MrSteve » Aug 6th, '16, 13:35

+1

One other idea would be to allow modules to be auto-loaded from a repository (cloud or classroom based) on project load. Would be nice to have some kind of versioning with this as well as a new module uploaded to a repository could break existing behavior.

JohnM

Re: Loading multiple modules at once

Post by JohnM » Aug 7th, '16, 22:47

Thanks for the excellent suggestions!

I think the "module of modules" approach should already work, although I haven't tested it.

Eventually, it would be cool to have some sort of package library such Python and NodeJS have.