Names and images, images and costumes

Report bugs. Post bug workarounds or fixes

Moderator: MSandro

mguzdial

Names and images, images and costumes

Post by mguzdial » Dec 18th, '15, 14:29

If I play with my edge detection code a few times, I end up with an images tab that looks like this:
lots-images.png
I'm not sure what I'd do with all these images. (And if I delete one by name, all the images by that name are deleted.) I could select them from the pop-up menus on some blocks, but since those pop-ups don't have thumbnails and only names, it makes it more confounding to have multiple images by the same name out there.

I suggest that if we save an image with the same name, we should overwrite the old image. I think that we want a correspondence between names and objects.

We have an images tab, but we put a costume on. We split pretty evenly between calling things costumes and images, and that's a problem. I know I was confused for awhile (especially because they're bitmaps inside GP). We should have a common set of names.

JohnM

Re: Names and images, images and costumes

Post by JohnM » Dec 28th, '15, 19:36

It was a bug that snapshotted (or imported) images could have non-unique names. In v044, they are given unique names. You can also click on an image or sound name to edit it.

I agree about the confusion between "image" and "costume". I'll try to either use "image" everywhere or make the difference more clear. In case you're interested in the details, every morph (graphical object) has a "costume" which is an image (bitmap). A morph can change its costume to be a different image from the images tab using "set costume to", or it can create a brand new costume using "set width height".

That said, it might not be necessary or helpful to use the word "costume" at the authoring level.

Let me know if you are still seeing non-unique costume names getting created in v044. (If you have a project with non-unique names, they will still be non-unique, but you can manually rename them.)