GP-beta-082 lockup Bad texture printed repeatedly in console

Report bugs. Post bug workarounds or fixes

Moderator: MSandro

DanL

GP-beta-082 lockup Bad texture printed repeatedly in console

Post by DanL » Oct 21st, '18, 16:30

I am running GP-beta-082 on several windows 10 computers and 1 windows 7 computer. On several computers, with different projects, I and my students have experienced the GPBlocks GUI locking up and the console repeatedly displaying "Bad texture."
What does that mean? What should I do to fix it?
Thanks,
Dan

Calloway

Re: GP-beta-082 lockup Bad texture printed repeatedly in console

Post by Calloway » Oct 21st, '18, 22:02

I've had this problem too every once in a while, it seems to be caused by loading in many large textures/images in at once (for example using a large image and creating many instances)
The only fix I've found to be effective is to use the garbage collection in script after using said large texture.
I hope this will help!

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Oct 21st, '18, 22:50

This can sometimes happen if you make the GP window too large, especially on a large, high-resolution display. You can try making the window smaller.

In any case, it's probably a good idea to save the project, then quit and restart GP when this starts happening.

Unfortunately, these texture issues come from the underlying SDL library. GP probably needs to move away from SDL, but switching to a different graphics library is a big job, so it may not happen in the near term.

Calloway

Post by Calloway » Oct 22nd, '18, 19:12

SFML?
The code base is known to be a lot cleaner and I've heard it's not that hard to port to.
Also it provides a lot more functionality wise.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Oct 22nd, '18, 20:22

That's one of the alternatives I'm considering. Nice to know it has a good reputation.