Blurry / pixelated font rendering on stage and exported app (Mac)

Report bugs. Post bug workarounds or fixes

Moderator: MSandro

arloft

Blurry / pixelated font rendering on stage and exported app (Mac)

Post by arloft » May 2nd, '18, 02:02

Learned how to display text on the stage, as well as changing font family and font size. However, the text display is very pixelated, making small text near unreadable both on the stage and in exported apps. Screenshot attached, I can provide a link to the project file if that helps (dropbox or google drive).

Latest GP Blocks (0.81)
My system specs: Macbook Pro 2011, OS version: 10.11.6 (El Capitan)
blurry pixelated text in exported app.png

JohnM

Re: Blurry / pixelated font rendering on stage and exported app (Mac)

Post by JohnM » May 2nd, '18, 11:03

Text rendering in GP isn't quite as good as MacOS, which uses some clever sub-pixel rendering tricks to optimize anti-aliasing for LCD screens.

However, I suspect that your stage is scaled, so you are seeing a scaled-down version of what was actually rendered to the stage. To see the text without scaling, select "normal stage size" from the right-click menu on the stage:

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 7.04.48 AM.png
The font you use can also make a difference. I'm seeing some holes in the letters when I zoom in on your screenshot that don't look like normal scaling or anti-aliasing artifacts, so I wonder if the font itself has some deliberate holes to make it looks old-fashioned or hand-printed. You might try a few different fonts.