[Linux] problems with several linux desktop environments

Report bugs. Post bug workarounds or fixes

Moderator: MSandro

MSandro

[Linux] problems with several linux desktop environments

Post by MSandro » Mar 27th, '18, 10:53

Hi, a view days ago I've posted some bugs in Linux systems. Now I've tested several distributions and desktop environments.

GP works very well on:
> Deepin Desktop (testet on Deepin OS, Antergos)
> Xfce (tested on Zorin OS Lite, Xubuntu)
> lxqt (tested on Lubuntu)
> KDE (tested on KDE Neon 5.12)
> Cinnamon (tested on Linux Mint 18.3)
> Budgie (tested on Ubuntu Budgie 17.10)

GP does not work well on:
> Gnome3 (tested on Ubuntu 17.10, Antergos, Zorin OS Core)

What does not work on Gnome systems:
> several keys response twice like the arrow keys, return, backspace, ...
> the search bar does not work correctly
> it places the GP folder in "Documents" even if the language is eg. German and the folder is called "Dokumente". On other desktops GP place its folder in the user directory.

GP does not work well on:
> Mate (tested on Ubuntu Mate 17.10)

What does not work on Mate systems:
> several keys response twice like the arrow keys, return, backspace, ...

I am not sure why GP is a bit buggy in gnome desktops.

I've also tried 3 PCs and systems on VirtualBox too, also several window managers like Wayland, Xorg, Metacity, compiz but no matter, it seems to be a compatibility issue with gnome/mate itself. All tested systems are x64 distributions.

I plan to try some other distributions with different desktops (Budgie, Enlightenment, Pantheon, i3, ...) to see where GP works and where not. I also try to find out why GP is so buggy on Gnome.

Hope this short summay helps.

JohnM

Re: [Linux] problems with several linux desktop environments

Post by JohnM » Mar 27th, '18, 12:45

This is extremely helpful information! Thank you!

I will try to reproduce the problem on a Gnome or Mate Linux.

It sounds like there are are two independent issues:
1. certain key events are repeated (arrow keys, return, backspace, ...)
2. GP is not localizing the folder path "Documents/GP"

I understand (2) and it doesn't depend on which the OS; the string "Documents" is hard-coded whereas it should be asking the OS for a localized path to that folder.

-- John

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Mar 27th, '18, 12:48

While you're testing things, could you test "export to app" to see if that is also specific to a particular Linux? It's probably unrelated to the keyboard issues but it could be related to the localization of the "Documents" folder.

Thanks for all this testing!

MSandro

Post by MSandro » Mar 27th, '18, 14:38

Export to App test results:
> Linux Mint (Cinnamon) -> does not working
> Deepin (Deepin Desktop Environment) -> not working
> KDE Neon (KDE Plasma) -> not working
> Antergos (Gnome) -> not working
> Antergos (Xfce) -> not working
> Xubuntu (Xfce) -> working good
> Ubuntu Mate -> working good

I will update tis post until I've tested other distros.

Does GP using a special library on Linux to build executibles?
Currently it seems that Xubuntu would be the best distribution to use GP :D.
Screenshot_20180327_174734.png

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Mar 28th, '18, 02:30

I think I've tracked down the issues with:
- exploring as an app
- localizing the "Documents" folder

However, I haven't yet been able to reproduce the issues with arrow, tab, and return keys or the search box. It might be that I don't have the same versions of Linux you've been testing. I tested:

Ubuntu Gnome 16.04: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-gnome/ ... 4/release/
Mate: https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/

Neither of these are the 17.10 versions you mentioned. What are good links for downloading those (.iso file preferred)? If it is only a few brand-new versions of Linux that have the problem, it might be a bug in one of the upstream Linux desktop distros.

What's a good test that shows the issue?

MSandro

Post by MSandro » Mar 28th, '18, 08:59

Ubuntu 17.10.1 amd64:
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop ... ture=amd64
I would recroment you to download this image, and install it maybe in a virtualbox or maybe try it via a live-usb to test GP.

The Ubuntu 17.x line is not as new as you think. Ubuntu 18.x is nearly finished I could try some of the betas for GP.
Most of the Linux Distributions like Ubuntu get a new LTS (Long Term Service) releas every 2 years (Ubuntu 14.x, 16,x and 18.x). None-LTS releases are not like betas, they are normal and very stable releases but they only about one years of support while LTS releases will be supportet about 5 - 6 years. Ubuntu 17.04 was released on April 13, 2017 and only get support until the January 13, 2018. 17.10 will be supportet until July 2018. Ubuntu 18.04 should be released soon (April 2018).

Since Ubuntu 17.x it does not use the Unity desktop anymore. Its standard desktop is Gnome3.

I will try out Antergos with XFCE (because it is a rolling-release) and Ubuntu 18.x to see what works in GP.

Edit:
I've tried Antergos (Xfce) now and GP works fine there, but there is the same error on exporting to app.

Edit2:
Now I've tested Ubuntu 18.04 Beta 1 too and it feels the same as in 17.10. Key issues, search box issue, export to app does not work.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Mar 28th, '18, 11:48

MSandro wrote:
Mar 28th, '18, 08:59
Ubuntu 17.10.1 amd64:
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop ... ture=amd64
Thanks!
MSandro wrote:
Since Ubuntu 17.x it does not use the Unity desktop anymore. Its standard desktop is Gnome3.
What's interesting is that Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 seems to work okay for me. So something changed in 17.x in addition to the switch to Gnome.
MSandro wrote:
I've tried Antergos (Xfce) now and GP works fine there, but there is the same error on exporting to app.
Good. The app exporting issue is a separate issue and will definitely be fixed.
MSandro wrote:
Now I've tested Ubuntu 18.04 Beta 1 too and it feels the same as in 17.10. Key issues, search box issue, export to app does not work.
I've now seen the issue with the arrow key being doubled (when editing in a Workspace window) in Antergos. The "tab" key takes you to the next input slot, but that's the intended behavior. I haven't seen an issue with the return key on my Mac keyboard, but I think that's actually a different key from the Enter key on a windows keyboard.

I suspect the search box and the double-arrow key bugs are related to some change in how keyboard events are getting reported.

It would help to have a quick and reliable sequence of steps that reproduce the problems you're seeing. For example, "Click in the search box and type 'm' and 'o'. The 'm' disappears." Or whatever. If I can reproduce this I can track it down.

It's actually a good thing that this problem can only be reproduced in a few, very specific Linux distros. GP has worked fine in three of the four distros I've tried, and I was trying to find one of the distros in which it failed.

MSandro

Post by MSandro » Mar 28th, '18, 12:37

Thank you very much.

Some notes of the search box issues:
> if I first want to type "m" then "o" the first typed letter disappers, as like you said.
> the search box seems to work a bit differen as other text-boxes because if I e.g. write "dddd" and then press "arrow left" the text disappear and the cursor jumps one letter to the left. I am not sure but I think this is also the same phenomenon as in Windows 10.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Mar 28th, '18, 12:49

I've reproduced the problems using the Ubuntu 17.10 download link you sent.

The search box problem is strange. Sometimes I can type "mov" and it gets all three letters, but sometimes the first two letters disappear when I type the "v".

I haven't yet dug into what events GP is getting but it's great to be able to reproduce the problem.

-- John

MSandro

Post by MSandro » Mar 28th, '18, 13:05

I am glad that you can reproduce all issues. It is a good start to solve those.

Thank you very much for your work on GP.