[Linux] GP creates its own documents folder for the "GP" folder

Report bugs. Post bug workarounds or fixes

Moderator: MSandro

MSandro

[Linux] GP creates its own documents folder for the "GP" folder

Post by MSandro » Mar 10th, '18, 22:01

Hi, next issue with GP on Linux:
I use my Ubuntu 17.10 in german language. So the documents folder is named "Dokumente" and GP whants to put its project folger into "Documents". The result: GP creates its own document folder and one wonders where the projects are stored.
I think it would be difficult to detect the system language and change the folder names to solve this issue. Suggested workaround: place the "GP" folder in the personal folder of the user instead of the documents folder.

I use Ubuntu 17.10 64 bit and GP v079 "GP_Linux_64bit".

MSandro

Re: [Linux] GP creates its own documents folder for the "GP" folder

Post by MSandro » Mar 16th, '18, 08:18

Also, no souch issue in Xubuntu 18.04! The GP folder is placed in the user folder by default like this:

Code: Select all

/home/sysadmin/GP/

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Mar 30th, '18, 13:39

GP currently has the "Documents" folder name hard-coded. Does anyone know if there a standard Linux API for getting the path the the Documents folder? (There is on Windows and Mac OS.)

On Linux, it sounds like it might be better to always create the "GP" folder as subdirectory of the user's home directory, as it is already doing on Xubuntu 18.04.

Two other special folders with shortcuts in GP's file picker are the "Desktop" and "Downloads" folders. Do those folders make sense on all Linux systems?

vickiS

Post by vickiS » Mar 30th, '18, 19:16

I'm running Gnome Ubuntu 14.04. echo ~/documents returns the path in the terminal.
Edit: sorry should be ~/Documents

MSandro

Post by MSandro » Mar 30th, '18, 20:23

Nice try but the problem is the "multi-language support".
On a english system the folder is called "Documents" but e.g. in german it is named "Dokumente". "Desktop" = "Schreibtisch".
And there is the problem, we need something like a API to find the folders, even if they are translated names.

Edit:
Maybe "xdg-user-dir" is exactly what you need:

Code: Select all

path=$(xdg-user-dir DOCUMENTS)
echo $path
This is a simple bash script which returns the correct path, no matter which language is used. But I am not sure how to use this in GP.