[v77]Instance Method "this" settings

Report bugs. Post bug workarounds or fixes

Moderator: MSandro

SimpleSi

[v77]Instance Method "this" settings

Post by SimpleSi » Nov 18th, '17, 21:28

I clicked on "Make a method" and noticed that "this" had dropdown box like a standard input which I don't think is quite right

JohnM

Re: [v77]Instance Method "this" settings

Post by JohnM » Nov 18th, '17, 23:36

This isn't a new feature in v77; it's been that way since we added user-defined methods.

But I agree, it doesn't make sense to be able to specify the type of the "this" parameter.

I'm hoping to rework all the method stuff, maybe in January, to minimize the use of "this" as much as possible. As you and others have pointed out, it's confusing and hard to explain to beginners, and it's annoying clutter even for experts. So, ultimately this won't be an issue because the method header won't even show the "this" parameter.

Why do I say "January?" Right now, GP is getting a lot of attention from the "Hour of Code", part of the upcoming CS Education week (Dec 4-10). We have three GP activities listed on the "Hour of Code" website (https://hourofcode.com/us/learn) and the GP website is getting over 500 visits a day already. That's tiny compared to Scratch, but quite an increase over what we'd been seeing before. I'm planning one more GP release in the next few days (to clean up a few bugs in v077). After that,unless I find a really serious bug, I'll probably not push any more changes until January, since many schools extend "code week" for the entire month of December.